We read about countless benefits and uses of vinegar in daily life, one of which is using vinegar to get rid of ants. But, does vinegar kills ants? Is it really that effective or is using vinegar to kill ants an overrated weapon against ants? Let us dig deep not only into the benefits of vinegar but also recipes and remedies that involve vinegar while battling against an ant invasion and infestation.
A Soapy, Baking Soda and Vinegar Solution to Kill Ants
Use our effortless soapy, baking soda and vinegar solution recipe to get rid of ants. For indoors simply spray this solution on ants and wipe the surface clean after a while. As for outdoors, use this spray on ant nest and plants. Make sure your plants are not sensitive to vinegar, before using this solution to get rid of ants.
What you need:
Baking Soda 2tbsp
Dishwashing soap 2tbsp
Place your spray bottle in a sink while making the solution. Pour the ingredients in relatively small quantities to let it settle and not overflow. Fill the rest of your spray bottle with water and use it o ants. Not only will it kill ants but also wipe their pheromone trails, plus its non-toxic! Note: Baking soda when added to vinegar reacts and creates foam. So be careful while mixing the ingredients.
DIY Apple Cider Vinegar Pesticide
There are numerous health benefits of using apple cider vinegar, but did you know that apple cider vinegar can also be used as a pesticide? Not only is apple cider vinegar a disinfectant inhibiting bacterial growth but also used to deter ants. It masks the ant’s scent trail preventing the scout ants from returning to their nests or ants from following the trail.
What you need:
Apple Cider Vinegar 1c
Mix all ingredients in a spray bottle and use on all entryway like doors and window sill etc. Saturate the ants with the solution to kill them. Wipe clear after a few minutes.
Vinegar Traps for Ants and Other Insects in the Pantry
Use apple cider vinegar to trap moths, ants and other bugs in your pantries. Clean and replace the trap after a few weeks.
What you need:
Apple cider vinegar
Bottle with a narrow opening
Liquid Dishwashing soap
Pour apple cider vinegar and dishwashing soap in the bottle and place it in the pantry. Apple cider vinegar will attract moths and trap it inside the bottle because of its narrow opening. The dishwashing soap will eventually kill the ants and insects. Replace the trap after a few weeks.
How to Get Rid of Vinegar Smell
Now that we have generously used vinegar all over the place indoors and outdoors, even inside the car and gotten rid of ants, what about the acidic smell of vinegar? Why does my car smell like vinegar even after so many days? Most of us find the vinegar smell in the house very appalling. With these tips, you don’t have to worry about the pungent smell while using vinegar to get rid of ants.
Use Essential Oils to Scent Vinegar
Essential oils have been used for aromatherapy from ages. Use essential oil of your choice with the vinegar solution. Essential oils such as lemon, clove, peppermint, cinnamon, and orange will mask the pungent smell of vinegar. Some of these aromas have a very positive and calming effect on mind and body as well, so it’s a two in one solution. Essential oils like clove, lemon and peppermint are commonly used with vinegar to kill ants. The lavender essential oil is known for its calming effect on mind whereas peppermint essential oil has respiratory benefits besides getting rid of ants effectively.
What you need:
Essential oil of your choice 30 drops
Mix all ingredients together and you have a vinegar spray for ants with an aroma of your choice.
Use Citrus Peels and Herbs to Get Rid of Vinegar Smell
As easy as it sounds, this actually works very well. There are endless combinations of citrus and herbs to experiment with. Let us list down a few of our favourite combinations;
- Lemon and mint
- Cinnamon and orange
- Lime and Lavender
- Thyme and grapefruit
What you need:
A mason jar
Citrus peels and herbs of your choice
1. Peel citrus of your choice and add the peels to a small mason jar. Fill it ¾ with the citrus peels. Toss in a few herbs of your choice as well.
2. Pour in vinegar. Fill ¾ of the jar with vinegar.
3. Leave the jar airtight for a few days. Preferably not less than 4 to 5 days while shaking occasionally.
4. Strain the vinegar after a few days and store again in a mason jar to be used as required.
Baking Soda to Get Rid of Vinegar Smell in Carpet
- Sprinkle Baking soda over the carpet or cushions and leave for 20 minutes.
- Vacuum the area thoroughly
Coffee Grounds to Get Rid Of Vinegar Smell in Car
If you have already tried a scented shampoo and baking soda to get rid of the pungent acidic smell of vinegar in your car then use coffee grounds.
1. Completely dry the car floor mats or seating after using vinegar to get rid of ants or tough food stains.
2. Place coffee grounds in a disposable glass secured with a lid then Punch holes into the lid using a pin or needle.
3. When the interior of your car is completely dry, place coffee grounds in your car. That’s it!
Bonus: Other Uses and Fun Facts about Vinegar
- Vinegar can be used as a safe herbicide. It will kill weeds in the garden. Make sure you do not use it around vinegar sensitive plants.
- Spraying your car windows with a solution of 3 parts vinegar to one part water will keep the windows of your car frost free for a few days.
- Get rid of cigarette odour by placing a bowl filled with three parts water and one part vinegar in the affected area for a few days.
- Vinegar can make your stainless steel sparkle.
- It can steam clean your microwave oven in a minute. Add a tablespoon of vinegar to a bowl of water and microwave it uncovered for a minute. Remove the bowl and clean the oven with a kitchen towel.
- Vinegar and baking soda unclogs and deodorize drains
- Rub vinegar and salt on your cutting board to disinfect it.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to balance your blood sugar.
- Vinegar is a great DIY substitute to store-bought energy drinks when mixed in warm water along with lemon juice and ground ginger.
- Apple cider vinegar helps to detox your body.
- The antibacterial properties of apple cider vinegar help to get rid of bad breath.
- Adding a few drops of vinegar to dishwasher results in very sparkly clean glassware.
- Use vinegar to bring the shine back to your porcelain bathtub and sink.